Thursday, July 13, 2006

Today is The Day...

“Tomorrow,” he promised his conscience,
“Tomorrow I'll do as I should;
Tomorrow I'll think as I ought to,
Tomorrow I mean to be good;
Tomorrow I'll conquer the habits
That hold me from Heaven away;”
But ever his conscience repeated
One word–and only one–“Today.”
Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow–
Thus day after day it went on;
Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow–
'Till Youth like a vision was gone;
'Till age and his passions had written
The message of fate on his brow,
And forth from the shadows came Death
With pitiless syllable—“Now.”


What are we doing about today? The Bible says: “behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.” 2 Corinthians 6:2
Are we acting like TODAY may be our last? How burdened are we about the people that are perishing in sin all around us? Are we echoing the voice of the African martyr:
"...I won't give up, back up, let up, or shut up until I've preached up, prayed up, paid up, stored up, and stayed up for the cause of Christ..."

Do we pray with desperation, like John Knox did? "Lord! Give me Scotland or I DIE!!!!"

What are we doing—TODAY?

5 Comments:

  • So true. This whole idea hits very close home as I've personally experienced lately how short life can be. Do we really live our day as if it were our last.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:51 PM  

  • Finally!
    Great Post! (and a great title for something I've waited so long to see!) I will forgive the lateness of it since you did do a good job, although I had expected something a little better, with how long you took in preparing it!
    (Just Kidding)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 PM  

  • Very relevant post.
    I certainly don't want to meet my Saviour "empty-handed." And who cares what the Lord thinks of me. Proverbs 11:30 says that "he that winneth souls is wise." I love that verse, especially in a society today that so strongly emphasizes and stresses "higher education." If God thinks that is what would make me wise, then that's what I'm going to endeavor to spend my life for...!=)

    BTW, concerning your new profile pic, Ryan, at first I thought you had a tie around your neck... and then I realized that if that's what that was, you certainly didn't know how to put it on right!=D Now I'm sure I'll laugh everytime I see that picture of you, remembering my first impression! No offense, please... but it is funny.=D
    Oh, but it does look nice for a change.=)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 PM  

  • Very nice new picture. Powerful post once again. I know there are times when I don't live each day like it may be my last and this was a powerful reminder.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 PM  

  • Tonight I saw as many pictures as Annie could show me of your sisters wedding. She had a very beautiful wedding!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home