Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Six Characteristics of a Diamond...

"There are six outstanding characteristics of a Diamond. I should like to find real, honest-to-goodness people who could stand the same tests our diamonds are put through.

Number one: They are the hardest substance known, eighty-five times harder than any other known substance.
I should like to discover persons who instead of easily being grooved by elements that contact them, would rather be hard enough to impress others. Popular opinion and dictates of fashion deeply groove most people; but my diamonds should be able to not only withstand this influence, but to impress others instead.

Number Two: They are unspoiled by alkalis or acids.
A true gem should be able to mix with the sordid business world, social circles, and centres of learning without contamination. How many come out unspoiled , unspotted, or untarnished by flatteries or frowns, praise, or blame?

Number Three: A diamond can stand intense heat, and still be uninjured.
Talk about a furnace of affliction! We can't stand an ordinary shift on a hot day without complaining. How easily people are turned aside from some purpose because of adversity. A diamond can stand terrific heat, and still be unharmed.

Number Four: A diamond disperses light.
This is an unusual quality, and is what makes this gem so beautiful. Taking light, which to the human eye looks white, it breaks it up and then disperses it in all the colours of the rainbow. Give me a human gem who can take the simple duties of life, and simple pleasures, and because of an inner quality of soul make them appear more than simple—beautiful, glowing with all the colours of the rainbow.

Number Five: A diamond refracts.
This too, makes it beautiful. It has power to take light, bent it toward the centre and then send it back out. I've put this test over and over again—Invariably people take in light, but they don't bother sending it back out because they don't possess number six.

Number Six: A diamond is pure.
If a diamond has what we call 'inclusion' it is rejected and used for industrial purposes. Only as a diamond is pure can it send the light back out in unspoiled beauty. Selfishness mars so many otherwise beautiful characters."
—This is an excerpt from a book entitled "The King's Diamond" written by Lillian Harvey—


-- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- -- --- --

May we all strive to shine as Gems for our Master!

"When He cometh, when He cometh to make up His jewels,
All His jewels, precious jewels, His loved and His own!
Like the stars of the morning, His bright crown adorning,
They shall shine in His beauty, bright gems for His crown."
—William Orcutt Cushing

11 Comments:

  • Thanks for the insight of a Master Gemologist!

    - a friend

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:58 PM  

  • If only to write with as much insight as you. Thank you for pointing out all those things. Have fun while Annie is there and try not to get her into to much trouble=)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:36 PM  

  • Monica,
    Give God the glory!!! “For it is God which worketh in [all of us, as His children,] both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” –Philippians 2:13 (paraphrased)

    I just pray that my light could shine out for Him, and that His glory would be seen!

    -Ryan

    Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
    Hold o'er my being absolute sway.
    Fill with thy Spirit till all shall see
    Christ only, always, living in me!

    By Blogger Ryan H, at 1:26 AM  

  • Hmmm...
    "Diamond Christianity..."
    Great thoughts!
    I had never really thought about the relation between a diamond, and our Christian walk. Very good post!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 AM  

  • God does get the glory, but he is using you for his work. And you are a wonderful example of a Godly Christian man.And I thank you for your example.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:06 AM  

  • This was a challenge to me, and it's taken a couple readings for it to even start sinking in! Praise the Lord for gems like this that can be chewed on and thought over countless times and still wealth is to be found in them!

    #4 especially impacted me. So often, so very often, I find myself slipping into a complacent attitude concerning those "small" things in life. It is a beautiful thing to see a soul that takes those little, seemingly unimportant and insignificant things, and turns them around to reflect the beauty of the Lord. I long for so much more of that! What I'm doing now may not seem important in my eyes, but with the right heart attitude, everything is capable of being a light to those around me.

    Thank you for the blessing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 AM  

  • Andrea, what you said about turning those everyday chores into something beautiful is what I always see in you. It seems like you always have something to teach me and I want to thank you the example that you are.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 PM  

  • Ah, Monica! Don't thank me, thank the Lord! If it weren't for Him I'd be a terrible mess! I'm just thankful for His faithfulness in teaching me and leading me on, even when I fail so often.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:45 AM  

  • We all fail but you keep me looking on the bright side and always seeing beauty in things that others would see as just plain and boring.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:11 AM  

  • Very impactful post -- thank you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home