Sunday, August 12, 2007

Teach Me To Pray

"Lord, I know not what I ought to ask of Thee; Thou only knowest what I need: Thou lovest me better than I know how to love myself. O Father! Give to Thy child that which he himself knows not how to ask. I dare not ask either for crosses or consolations; I simply present myself before Thee, I open my heart to Thee. Behold my needs which I know not myself; see and do according to Thy tender mercies. Smite or heal; depress me or raise me up; I adore all Thy purposes without knowing them; I am silent; I offer myself in sacrifice; I yield myself to Thee; I would have no other desire than to accomplish Thy will. Teach me to pray. Pray Thyself in me. Amen."

—Francois de la Mothe Fenelon

A special think you to Marissa Whitney for the use of this quote from her blog. http://strengthinquietness.blogspot.com/

4 Comments:

  • Amen!! That is sooooo good. Praise the Lord for a Father that is not only willing to hear our prayers, but to teach us to pray!

    And, you found Marissa's blog!! That was a surprise as she's a really sweet, personal friend of mine!

    By Blogger muzic4him, at 7:37 PM  

  • Amen and amen!!

    By Blogger Emily Mitton, at 9:51 AM  

  • Thanks for the link! Just to clarify, though - I have no claim on that particular quote. : )

    You have a lovely blog. I like the header, and the posts are encouraging, too.

    By Blogger Marissa, at 3:34 PM  

  • Annie:
    I think I found Marissa's blog through a comment on yours, actually!

    Emily:
    Isn't it amazing how deep the people were (spiritually) back then?

    Marissa:
    No problem about the link; I appreciated finding the quote on your blog, so, thank you for finding it originally! :-)

    By Blogger Ryan H, at 3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home